Divorce & Family

We realize that separation is difficult.

It is particularly difficult when property and children are involved.

But at Johnston Franklin Bishop Lawyers we are here to help you through the process.

And if you do retain us to act, we can assist with payment installments, fixed fees (in some circumstances), and we may be able to take on your matter on a legal aid basis.

Through what can be a stressful situation, we aim to assist in the healing process and help you move positively into the future.

We aim to resolve matters wherever possible through a collaborative approach, or through negotiation and mediation.

Sometimes this is not possible. Especially in urgent matters or in matters where a risk to you or a child is involved, we will not hesitate to help you bring urgent court proceedings and fight for your best interests.

We can assist with divorce, negotiated outcomes including separation agreements, cohabitation agreements, and court proceedings regarding property and children.

We are pleased to meet with you to discuss your concerns, provide some general advice, and give you an idea of the costs involved if you want us to act for you.

And if you do ask us to act, we can assist with payment installments and fixed fees (in some

Please call us on Tel: (250) 756-3823 or Toll Free: 1-888-343-0782 to arrange an appointment.

Related Posts

Who is a “Spouse”?

The definition of spouse has evolved dramatically, and can vary depending on the legislation being considered, or the jurisdiction you are in. Both the Wills, Estates and Successions Act (“WESA”) and the Family Law Act define spouses as two people of any gender who are married to each other, or who have lived together in […]

Traveling with Children

The Government of Canada strongly recommends that children traveling abroad carry a consent letter proving they have permission to travel from every person with the legal right to make major decisions on their behalf, if that person is not accompanying the children on the trip. You can obtain the forms from their website at: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/children/consent-letter


What is the legal age in BC? The age of majority is 19 in B.C. Do I really need a legal will and why? If you don’t have a will you estate will be divided by the Estate Administration Act. The rules in the Estate Administration Act are arbitrary and not necessarily what you would […]

Separation Agreements

A Separation Agreement can assist parties in navigating a variety of issues, including: Division of property and debts; Custody and guardianship; Parental responsibilities and parenting time; and Child and spousal support. Negotiating a Separation Agreement can result in avoiding costly court applications, and can create a guide that will assist parties in the future. Contact […]

Cohabitation Agreements

Perhaps you and your soon to be live in significant other have children from previous relationships and also have acquired assets prior to meeting each other. You may wish to ensure that these previously acquired assets and perhaps even certain classes of assets acquired after your relationship remain yours. A cohabitation agreement can ensure that […]