Uninsured Motorists

If you are involved in an accident and the at-fault driver or vehicle doesn’t have insurance, you can still claim up to $200,000 in damages from ICBC for your injuries and other losses. In order to qualify, the accident must have happened in BC on a “highway”, which essentially means any public road and includes parking lots open to the public. The accident also cannot be a “hit and run” meaning you don’t know the identity of the driver or owner of the vehicle that hit you. Once those two conditions are met, you must give ICBC notice in writing of the accident. This should be done as soon as possible. If your injuries entitle you to receive EI, WorkSafe or certain other government benefits, ICBC can deduct the value of those benefits from the damages otherwise payable to you.

If you’ve been injured by an uninsured motorist, contact us today for a free consultation – before speaking with ICBC!